With the ever-evolving landscape of healthcare law, the beginning of a new year marks the perfect time for healthcare attorneys to set aside a few hours for intentional reflection on what the new year might bring and set New Year resolutions aimed at strengthening their expertise, refining skills, and improving their overall well-being. Here are ten realistic and actionable 2024 resolutions for healthcare lawyers:
- Know the (Ever-Changing) Law: Develop a plan to stay current on the latest healthcare laws, regulations, and policy changes whether through a subscription service, Google alert, or manual review of the daily news.
- Prioritize Continued Learning: Commit to attending beyond the minimum number of required CLE hours and find courses, seminars, workshops specifically focused on healthcare law to deepen knowledge and expertise in this highly specialized field.
- Manage Risks: Identify at least three strategies to mitigate legal risks for healthcare clients, including risk assessment, compliance audits, and proactive policies that prevent legal issues.
- Prioritize Privacy: With the 2023 HIPAA changes becoming fully enforceable in 2024, it is paramount to stay abreast of the changes to data privacy laws, by setting aside at least a few hours to review the changes and calendar implementation dates.
- Collaborate and Connect: With the continued rise of remote legal work and telemedicine, it is critical to connect in-person with healthcare peers, clients, and regulatory bodies. Commit to at least one monthly meeting that fosters a deeper relationship with healthcare professionals.
- Deepen Client Communications: Healthcare organizations will continue to struggle with financial constraints and workforce shortages, necessitating close communication to ensure their needs are understood appropriately addressed. Devise strategies for communication type and frequency focused on improving client communication.
- Establish Boundaries: It is the very nature of health care challenges that often creates urgent deadlines, however, it is critical to establish clear boundaries within your working time and space. Create a schedule and adhere to it, designating specific work hours for emails, phone calls, in-person meetings, staying abreast of news, casework, etc.
- Embrace Technology: Commit some time (and money) to exploring new technologies to streamline workflows, increase automations, and improve efficiencies. Identify three technologies to try out in 2024.
- Donate Your Time: The healthcare industry isn’t going to get any better in 2024; set an intention for a few hours a month dedicated to pro bono work in the field providing for an organization or individual facing a healthcare crisis.
- Invest in Mental Health: Recognize the demanding nature of healthcare law and place a premium on well-being. Identify three goals for mental health and commit to regular exercise, mindfulness, stress management, and self-care practices.
The coming year presents a canvas of opportunities for healthcare lawyers to elevate their professional journey and make deep and meaningful impacts on the healthcare industry. By setting these ten resolutions and staying committed to personal and professional growth, healthcare attorneys can navigate the intricate intersection of law and healthcare with a renewed sense of purpose in 2024.